Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Curious Garden*

The other day, after Clio had been off on her own in the house for a while, I encountered this scene in the office.


Clio was lightly stepping from book to book. Before I (reflexively) got mad at her for potentially harming her books, and making a mess to boot, I asked her what she was up to.

These are lily pads, she told me. I'm hopping across the pond.

Delightful.

I love how creative Clio is, how well she invents worlds for herself while the rest of us are too busy living in this one.

While she wouldn't allow me to photograph her walking her lily-pad path, she did, without argument, help put all the books away.

*The title for this post comes from the same picture book where, I believe, Clio got this idea. We had taken it out of the library in Brooklyn, and one of my aunts gave it to Clio for Christmas. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Yes, sometimes I get annoyed with them too fast and then I realize too late that they were really doing something with gorgeous, sweet, innocent intentions. It is so wonderful to be able to watch their imaginations at work.