Tuesday, October 14, 2008

On Being a Working Mom

I recently decided (under the influence of Stacey and Clinton, no doubt), that there's no excuse not to look good every day. To facilitate this new goal, I've been doing some shopping, taking care of some tailoring, and keeping my boots in shape. And it's already paid off: while my calendar today consisted only of internal meetings, I was pulled last minute into a meeting with our local congresswoman, and I'm glad I'm not wearing jeans.

However, I have also recently decided that there's no reason I can't multi-task while pumping at work. Dave has been on me to read the editorials in the Times (he'll leave multiple tabs open in Firefox with recent Opinions to encourage this act), so I started logging on to nytimes.com while pumping in my office.

Do you see where this is going? If you guessed breastmilk all over my new brown cords, you win a prize. To add insult to injury, while cleaning up I forgot to close the "door" to my office (also know as a sliding-glass semi-opaque panel with no sound-proofing whatsoever), and wound up spilling milk all over my desk as I tried to transfer it from bottle to storage bag while discussing cell-phone overages and expense policy with my gay 25-year old colleague, who was utterly horrified by my mom-at-work disaster.

Yay.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ouch. At least your boots looked good.

Anonymous said...

It probably didn't seem so at the time, but just reading this it's totally hilarious. You have the makings of a nice comedy on your hands. Add that to the rockstar dad and the bathtub mom (hopefully i got that right), and i think you're well on your way to a Tina Fey number.

Statia Grossman said...

I'm glad that you're at least trying to follow some Stacy and Clinton rules - I, on the other hand am a prime target for a nomination to be on that show!