Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day Off

I just realized I don't have any pictures of myself with my mom when I was little. I wish I had one, both to share here and to keep in my house. I've been thinking about how young she was when we were little, and what a natural she must have been at this mom business.

Today is, of course, my first Mother's Day as the Mommy, too. After great deliberation, it was determined that what I really wanted was a day off- a day to do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. No advance planning, no decisions. Dave and Clio were good enough to oblige me, and the weird result is that the two of them had a great day together and I spent much of the day (blissfully) alone.


I got to sleep in- until 10 o'clock!
I got to eat my favorite indulgent breakfast- sweet potato pecan flapjacks- and I didn't have to make it and I didn't have to clean up.
I got to go shopping. Lots and lots of shopping. I pretended I was with Stacey and Clinton and even went into Searle for the first time ever. I didn't look at price tags. (Okay, I looked at them when deciding what to actually buy, but not until then.) I have a whole new wardrobe for spring and summer, stuff that looks good and looks good together; stuff I feel really good in, and really like myself.

By the end of the day, I must admit I have two regrets:
First, not calling or sending special messages to all of the mother's in my life to share the celebration, and second, not being home to put Clio to bed. Suddenly it seemed wrong to have spent Mother's day primarily alone, and I called Dave to have him tell her good night, and that I love her. I made him promise to tell her out loud, even though she can't really understand the words.

When I came home, Dave told me how much his day of primary-parenting made him appreciate the Mommy; it means a lot to hear that- isn't that what today is all about?

Now I need to go upstairs and tell Clio one more thing: how very very happy I am to be her mom.

1 comment:

The Hewitts said...

You are a fantastic mom. Alone is how I spent my first mother's day, too. Sometimes, it takes a great mom to realize that a little time to herself can make her love that tiny face, if possible, a wee bit more.