Monday, May 4, 2009

Status Update


So, we're moving.

To Boulder, CO, a city to which I have never been. (As I pointed out to my mother, this is not the first time I will have moved to a place sight unseen: there was Lugano, Switzerland, to attend The American School in Switzerland; there was Poughkeepsie, NY, to attend Vassar college.) In keeping with the trend, this move is related to school, but this time I will not be the student. Dave is planning to study Structural Integration; depending on which school you attend, this is also known as Rolfing. You can Google it if you want to know more- Dave says he doesn't yet have his sound byte down to describe what it is, exactly. I like to say it's "on the body work spectrum," more to the chiropractic and movement therapy end than the swedish massage end. But I haven't even Googled it, actually, so don't listen to me.

While we're there, Clio will go to Montessori school, Eleri will go to day care of some kind, and I will re-enter the work force. Preferably doing something related to future goals, like teaching, writing, editing, or working in Public Programs, all somehow related to cultural or educational environments. But hell, if it brings in more than childcare takes out and covers basic expenses, I'll work in a bookstore. Or as the assistant program manager at a gym. (yes, this is a real job that I really might apply for. Climbing wall birthday party, anyone?) This is what I find exciting about the whole venture: the possibilities. I feel a little bit like we get to try on another life for a little while. We will likely be renters. We can try new hobbies and no one will know us well enough to say "really??! you!!?" when we say we are, I don't know, going to train for a triathalon, as so many people apparently do in Boulder. (Something about that thin mountain air.)

I like that we will know what it is like to live somewhere in "the rest of the country." I have lived my entire adult life in New York City, a wonderful, if somewhat skewed perspective, and I am eager to get another view on things.

At the end of this experiment, lasting somewhere in the 12-24 months range, we will pick up and move again, to settle down in the Twin Cities, and begin the rest of our lives. Or the next part of the rest of our lives. Or the rest of the next part of our lives.

At least that's the plan.

For now, there's work to be done. If you know of anyone who might want to buy a 3-bed 2-bath attached house in Brooklyn with central air, outdoor space, and parking, all for the price of a 2-bed coop in one of those new buildings on 4th ave in park slope, send them my way. If you know someone who might want to employ us, rent to us, or befriend us out west, ditto. If you want to take our kids off our hands every now and again as we prepare our house for sale, well, where do I drop them off? Any other ideas? I'm all ears!

As for all the nitty gritty details, no, we haven't figured any of it out. But we will.

5 comments:

kwongs said...

wow! good luck! speaking as someone who not so long ago moved cross-country, moving isn't so bad. adjusting to the quiet that exists everywhere outside of new york is a little trickier, but not so bad either.

Unknown said...

Heather, I love your attitude! And I will totally take your kids off your hands in 2 years when you are unpacking in MN.

melissa said...

Sounds like fun to me! And the boxes make great toys. Best of luck in Boulder. I've only ever heard great things about living there.

sara said...

first of all, the girls look gorgeous, and so happy to be moving, or at the very least playing with boxes.

second, you are moving really soon, eh? boxes, already?

i love your pending adventure! also, Marni and i are already colluding on a joint visit.

The Hewitts said...

During the course of this post, I became both heartbroken and elated. After the climbing wall career, I vote for writer.