Monday, October 18, 2010

Big Girl Bed

This was almost another second-child milestone that went un-photographed but, at the last minute, I dug up the camera, feeling a bit guilty.

Eleri has been wanting to move on from her crib for ages, but we didn't want to do it in the midst of other big things--bigness, if you will--and we had the move, a trip to Illinois, school starting, visits from Grandma and Grandpa, bouts of strep throat, and so on and so forth. Finally this weekend I was able to dash off and (thanks to my mom and her SUV), bring home a new bed for Miss Eleri.

Frolicking ensued.





I love how much Eleri loves this, the way she announces "MY bed." or "Sleep in my new bed tonight." I love that she's content to stay in it (so far.) I love that, in the morning, I find her smashed against the wall, laid out along the short end of the bed and that she actually fits that way.

I love that, the absolute moment I leave the room from tucking them in, one of them says to the other "guess what?" and then goes on with whatever bit of gossip or joke, as if to signal they are equals now, in their equally twin sized beds. Bigness, you know.

I especially love that, after the excitement died down a little, Clio cocked her head to one side and said, "you know what I think we should do?" What, I asked. "I think we should give the crib to baby Oliver."

This is, indeed, exactly the plan, and for these last days before we dismantle it and help my brother get it to his house, I will look forward to Eleri pointing to it where it still stands in their room, and saying "baby Oliver. Sleep. In it."

Uh oh. I feel something coming on. I think an ode to the Stokke sleep system might be next.....

No comments: