Sunday, May 4, 2008

Girl's Weekend

At this very moment, I am surviving my first weekend away from Clio. And you know what? It has been blissful. Highlights from my only girls' weekend between baby #1 and baby #2 include a whole lot of activities that may not sound quite as great from a different sort of life position, like lying in bed with Marni and Sara watching Grey's Anatomy and Lost,


Enjoying dinner party where the min event was one long round of Rock Band; Or building an entire weekend around what to eat when, like cupcakes from Marni's friend Kara's amazing bakery, Kara's Cupcakes; lunch at Alice Water's famous Berkley restaurant Chez Panisse; and heaping servings of Mexican after a long walk in beautiful Muir Woods.


Much of our time in San Francisco proper involved gaping at the architecture (one of my very favorite past times); this time, in addition to the mansions of Pacific Heights and the great mix in Sara's Ashbury Park neighborhood, we stumbled upon the gorgeous enclave of the dremy and envy-inducing Sea Cliff. We did manage to sneak in one excursion that was somewhat cultural: a quick trip to SF MoMA, where we played in Olafur Eliasson's bridge installation up at the top of the building.

Sara has a very cute baby bump these days; and I'm looking large in those horizontal stripes, but why not embrace it, right?


I thought I would miss Clio physically, like a palpable ache, and would worry bout how she and Dave were getting on all weekend. Instead, I've been thrilled to have this time for myself, to reconnect with my girls, and know I will be all the happier to see both my husband and my daughter for having been away from them for couple of days.

And the best part? I still have a 6-hour flight ahead of me, where no one will need anything from me, I can read a book, watch a movie (or little of each), and when I'm thirsty, someone will bring me something to drink.

Bliss.

1 comment:

kwongs said...

i didn't know you were out here! glad you had a great time.