Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Shadowplay

This weekend, Clio discovered her shadow.

Dave and I each (coincidentally) spent some time outside with her in bright sunlight, and showed her the shadows we cast on the ground. For my part, I would wave at the shadow over and over, so Clio could see my actual arm, then my shadow arm, to wrap her head around the connection.


There are two large apartment buildings across the street from our house, and Clio chased her own shadow all along their surfaces; when she turned around to walk back up the little hill (casting her shadow behind her) she would cock her wrist, look at me, and ask "Where did shadow go?" making me think of Peter Pan and the lost boys, trying to recover his shadow.


I wished I had the video camera on me at the time, but we did manage to capture a few stills on the boardwalk at Coney Island:





It's so amazing to watch Clio as she begins to encounter more abstract concepts. This weekend we also went into the basement and used our webcams to talk to Nonny, Papa, Finn, and Lucia (my mom's excellent idea after Clio continued to talk about the Minnesota crew for several days running-actually, it's still going on). Clio was a little shy about the whole computer-conversing (webcams sort of blow my mind, I can only imagine what this toddler must think), but now, on occasion, she'll say "Papa, downstairs." And in a way, yes, that's where he is.

1 comment:

kwongs said...

introducing the concept of shadows is a great idea! on the webcam note, we've been talking to amelia's grandparents and uncle using a webcam also and it's so fantastic. although she did ask to talk to her uncle this morning, and wept when i told her that he was sleeping.