Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Take Your Daughter to Work Day


A few weeks ago, the day care closed for renovation, right after we returned form Italy. Unable to take additional vacation days, we tried a little experiment instead: Dave and I each took Clio to the office for a day. Everyone at Creative Time has been asking for a visit from Clio FOREVER, so it was a happy accident to find myself forced to bring her along.

First thing, she unpacked her bag (in the front hall.)

One of my young and very-childless co-workers was nice enough to ask, pityingly, if this is what my house looks like. (Sadly the answer is yes, at least during the day.)

Next, we took a little field trip down to the Essex Street Market, where our latest project was in its final stage of installation (you can read some of the fabulous press, including the New York Times, here). At the time, the place was an unfinished labyrinth in a building that likely has lead paint, with enclosed hallways covered in fresh paint. In a word, the perfect environment for a child. Needless to say, I did not let her out of the front pack.


Back at the office, Clio tried out the working life.

(Okay, really she just loves to sit in big people chairs. But that includes Task chairs! And also, I realize Clio spends a lot of time in this outfit.)

Mostly, she crawled up and down the long hallway and spent a lot of time being loved and adored. My photos are limited as I did not have my own camera, but here she is with my friend Yael, and to the right is the mysterious Douglas, our financial manager with whom I spend most of my Thursdays, and who once had a dog named Cleo. (In the background is Jessica, one of the latest hires at Creative Time, and the subject of the most unprofessional job offer I have ever made. Let's just say I was in a car on the way to the airport, and Clio was wailing in her carseat.)

Douglas's pug was actually named for Cleopatra, but he tells me it's good to have another Clio in his life.


Finally, Clio was reunited with Anne, who has loved her from afar all these months as I "refuse" to bring Clio to the office so they can see each other.

Here they are at their first meeting, when Clio was one day old:


Ultimately, Clio decided that the Mommy is where it's at. But she's looking forward to Auntie Anne babysitting while the Parents go see Superbad! (at Anne's insistence. Gotta love a boss like that!)

No comments: