Friday, April 10, 2009

Eleri Ruth, 9 months old








Eleri, you're getting to be such a big girl. I mean this literally- you continue to be in the 70-95th percentile, and are currently clocking in at a whopping 19 1/2 pounds, 28 1/2 inches- but I also mean it like, whoa, how are you sitting-crawling-eating solids-playing peekaboo-clapping-and growing into your personality already?

You often get a touch overshadowed by your drama-queen sister, but lately I'm so in love with your happy demeanor, your contented head on my shoulder, and your exuberance: you clap delightedly at a diaper change, dive enthusiastically for your bottles, and when we lie you down you do these energetic aerobics, scissoring your arms to your legs and scrunching up your face to show us the gap between your two front teeth, which are about halfway in.

I remember struggling to teach Clio sign language at this age- partly because it was de rigeur, but mostly because I felt I needed to understand what she wanted; with you, I generally feel like I know just by looking at you. Maybe because I learned the language of baby signs from Clio, maybe because you and I simply understand one another. You light up when I enter a room and cry when I leave it; I thought this was simply your way, but Dave insists this behavior is just for me. What can I say? Particularly as Clio grows into her independence, it's nice to be needed, and I love this connection.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a sweetie. 9 months is my absolute favorite baby age.

Unknown said...

I love that note to Eleri. Made me a little weepy (preggers hormones or what??) You're a lucky girl, my friend!