Monday, November 16, 2009

Packing for the Mayflower

In school, Clio and her classmates are learning about the Pilgrims.
They were, apparently, asked to make a list of what they would bring on the Mayflower for the long journey to America. Here is Clio's list:

Peanut Butter
Jelly
Blocks
Toys for Eleri
Pack a lunch, with sandwich and apple juice
Fishing rod and string
Spices for Daddy (because he likes them)
Grapes

Mostly, I think this is hilarious: she doesn't particularly like peanut butter, she rarely plays with blocks, and the fishing rod, while genius, is really out of left field. A part of me is just a tiny bit envious of Daddy's spices and Eleri's blocks, and flirting with heartbreak that she did not think to pack anything for me. Of course, it doesn't help that Eleri's first sentence, as of yesterday, was "I want Daddy." It's hard to say whether she is just so excited to have put some words together in a meaningful way or whether she really, really wants Daddy, but she keeps saying it.

I spent a long time with top parental billing around here, and I have to admit, I kind of like getting a little break. Let Dave have the glory- and all the headaches that come with it. It's just amazing to me how quickly the pendulum of their affections swung: I've been back at work for just over a month.

I guess it just goes to show: kids are fickle.

2 comments:

sara said...

Hysterical. I read this out loud to Roy who made that pained laughing face he makes when something is really funny.

kwongs said...

"fishing rod and string" is my favorite!