Monday, August 24, 2009

Eleri's First Word

Officially:

"Uh-oh" (pronounced a bit more like uh-ah)

How appropriate.

I think Dave might argue this, as he is claiming that her dada babbling is, in fact, her way of naming him.

And even with just one (or two) words under her belt, she continues to be very expressive. To wit: every time my mom came near her over the past 5 days, Eleri would turn her shoulder and grunt in a way that made her intentions very clear: "stay away, person who is not my mom." When I was not around, this cold shoulder went to me Dad, as if to say, "stay away, person who is not my nonny."

She also has a new "feed me" face, where she tilts her head back, opens her mouth wide to expose her gap teeth, and crinkles her nose, and she does a very clear "gimme" sign by opening and closing her fist repeatedly.

On the other hand, the unfortunate shrieking trend has also continued, and much of the time, we don't really know what her problem is. The one clear shriek is the "take me outside, I have discovered that Boulder is a place for the outdoors" shriek, which is often accompanied by banging on the door to the outside.

I looked back to old blog posts and discovered that Clio wasn't really talking at this stage either, but by the October following her first birthday, she has a list of nearly a dozen words; it will be interesting to see if Eleri experiences a similar explosion.

No comments: