Thursday, March 12, 2009

Status Update

Because I am constantly blogging in my head and slightly less frequently blogging on my blog, sometimes I am alerted to gaps in my communication. For example, after a post in December about quitting my job, I realized that I had not quite shared the part of my plan that included some kind of freelance work, and many of you were concerned about our family surviving on one salary. My most recent post about Clio interviewing at a Minneapolis Montessori begs the question whether we're moving to Minnesota.

Apparently on Facebook (which I'm still not on, though for both freelance work and a possible move I would be wise to join), you can endlessly update your "status" to broadcast to the world where you are and what you're doing ("At work;" "Loading the Dishwasher;" "procrastinating") . In a way, I both love and loathe this idea; on the one hand, it fixes you at a place in time, moment by moment, which seems potentially reassuring, if completely unnnecessary (on a related note, if someone can explain to me the point of Twitter, that would be great); on the other hand, at moments of transition, it can call attention to the fact that you feel dislodged, unsure of your status at all.

I guess my status includes such right now tangibles as "unemployed," "hung over," and "blogging" as well as more abstract stuff like "considering the future," and for some reason this impulse to label your place in mental space tempts me to borrow from movie titles, like, at the moment, "Waiting to Exhale" and "Feeling Minnesota."

So here's the deal: I'm done with my job, but keeping the girls in day care three days a week in order to take on freelance work. First up, editing a book for Creative Time. I'll be looking for other writing/editing work (in any field), consulting work at arts organizations, and whatever else might come along, so send leads my way. Meanwhile, we are considering moving to Minnesota to be closer to family and to have an "easier life" (parking, parking, everywhere!). We are also considering a short-term move to Boulder for Dave to go to school for Structural Integration. (Upon reading this post, Dave's status will change to "annoyed at my wife who just shared too much information on her blog." Sorry honey- people are asking questions!) Clio has been applied to Montessori schools in both places, and I imagine we will need to formalize our decision next month, when a contract and tuition deposit will be due.

As for the status of possibly staying in New York? I'm not sure: ask Dave.

Sorry, honey.

2 comments:

sara said...

I love how honest this is, and also that I can hear you saying all of it. You're a funny one HD/P.

So we will all know in a month!

Anonymous said...

I hear you. I joined facebook a few months ago, and like you, I dream in my blog voice. Fine. I accept that. But now I find myself asking, do I really need to blog, face book AND twitter? Please inform me if you find ample justification.