Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sleep, Interrupted

As recently reported, Clio now knows how to work our doorknobs, and can therefore get out of her room at any time, and particularly during her nap or at night, when she's supposed to be sleeping. This actually proved useful for about a week when, for unknown reasons, she was suddenly waking up soaked through around 4 am (in her diaper. what will we do once she's potty trained???) It was good that she could come in, alert us to the situation, and get it taken care of. (Of course, stripping a toddler bed and locating clean sheets at 4 am leaves something to be desired, but I guess it's all part of the deal, huh?)

But then she stopped waking up wet and started simply waking up. I read somewhere what not to do: do not let that child into your bed under any circumstances, or you will NEVER GET THEM OUT. I try to heed this advice in my groggy state, and will myself out of the bed into our freezing house to run Clio down the hall back to her own little bed. I usually wake up right around the time she appears in our doorframe; since she's pretty wobbly in the middle of the night, I at least have a few minutes to pull on some pants. The other night, however, I found myself pulled from a deep sleep only to open my eyes and find Clio staring right at me. Her face is just about level with our mattress, giving us a little too much direct eye contact for the wee hours.

Let's just hope this is a phase.

1 comment:

Statia Grossman said...

Zoe only left her room once and I think my honest reaction of general fear when I heard the door open (it didn't cross my mind that it could be her, I thought it was a burglar or something) scared her so much that she burst into hysterical crying and never got out of bed again. You could try that.