Tuesday, January 8, 2008

When 2 Blogs Collide

Over the holiday, we got to spend a morning with the Hewitts, they of The Hewitt Chronicles, an excellent mommy blog that I often refer to and shamelessly encourage you all to read. (The blogger, one of my very oldest friends in the world, makes me laugh and cry with almost every single post.)

Liz Edwards and I have been friends, along with fellow cul-de-sac neighbors Amy and Carrie Losleban, for 30 years. One of the things that sucks about living in New York is that Lizzie, Amy, and Carrie live in Minnesota, along with their kids Laila and Owen, Abigail Claire and Ian, and Morgan and Greta (respectively). Now, especially with so many girls within playing range, there is a sense of deja vu on the (very rare) occasion that any of these girls get together. Not least because personality seems to be as genetic as anything, and in one way or another these girls are a reflection of their moms.


I've been tearing the house apart for three days trying to find my favorite picture of Liz and I from our childhood, but no such luck; you'll just have to imagine it: we're about 4 and 5, we have our hair in a ton of little braids, and we're smiling like big goofballs on the deck of my parents old house.


Now, here we are in 2007:




When Dave was taking these pictures, I found myself a little embarrassed that Lizzie's kids are so well behaved, but mine is, well... not always willing to sit still. You know what though? Laila is just like I remember Lizzie: polite, a little proper, slightly soft-spoken, but very observant and intelligently funny. And everyone who knew me when I was Clio's age says she is just like me: spirited, independent, often laughing. I suppose we pass some of things down by example, but if you do go to the Hewitt Chronicles, specifically to this post, you'll see how much is simply in our DNA.

1 comment:

The Hewitts said...

You're the best. Now, you made me laugh and cry ... and I'm not even pregnant.

When are you moving home? Will it be within the next week? No? Too soon. Okay, how about the next month? Yes, certainly by June ... I'm sure of it.