Monday, January 14, 2008

Pretty


This morning Clio requested to wear something "pretty" to Day Care. It started when I went in to get her up, wearing a top with a rhinestone-encrusted circle at the peak of the V-neck (like one of those popular diamond-circle necklaces embedded right into your clothing), and she immediately reached for it and said, you got it, "pretty." Later, when we went up to get dressed, she said "Clio, pretty," and affirmed that she'd like to wear a dress, please. And her fancy party shoes. And a green barrette with a duck. No, a purple barrette with a bear. ("Purple Bear!"). Apparently when she got to Day Care and got out of her coat, she paraded around the room, rubbing her hands down her dress and pronouncing it "pretty." That's my girl.

I was famous for my fashion choices as a kid- so much so that my brothers STILL find hallmark cards about the tendency, and every once in a while friends and colleagues will ask about some of my themed-phases, just for fun (the 3d grade Equestrian phase, the 7th grade Secretary phase, the 12th grade- yes, 12th- Laura Ashley floral romper phase). According to my mother, I started picking out my own clothes, completely, when I was 2, causing the neighbors (the afore-mentioned Lizzie, Amy, and Carrie's Moms) to wonder aloud how my mother found the courage to let me leave the house "that way". From a young age, I believed in layering pattern, and felt that flowers matched flowers, plaid matched plaid, and so on and so forth. I also had a thing for fuzzy tights, clogs, and dresses, dresses, dresses. Another of my mom's favorite tales is of a dress I spotted at Zaires, at least 2 sizes to big, that I
had to have and did in fact wear for a number of years until I finally outgrew it. She's been scanning all kinds of pictures lately- maybe she'll send one on (she know's exactly what I'm talking about!).

So I should have wondered when Clio might take an interest. She has been trying to dress herself lately, but up until this happy morning, I thought it was purely a matter of function; form is so much more fun.


And speaking of pretty, Marni just sent me this picture from her wedding day: check us out in our furs, against a backdrop of Manhattan: how very, very glam!

2 comments:

kwongs said...

indeed, she is so pretty!

bity said...

That’s adorable. I love that she’s aware she’s pretty, and that she purposefully gets all dressed up for daycare. Too cute!