Friday, June 6, 2008

On Language

Clio is talking up a storm these days, and I am constantly amused by some of her (mis)understandings of common phrases.

My favorite toddlerisms:


When given something she has asked for:

"Thank you, you're welcome!"

When told to ask nicely:

"Nicely, please!"

When asked to smile for the camera, she doesn't necessarily look your way, but she does say:
"Cheese!"

When leaving the room:
"Good bye, see you tomorrow!"
or
"See you later!" (I suppose this one is technically correct)

Just now, she was hiding a spoon and a shovel behind her back. I asked, "Are they hidden?"
She came right over and hit me with the shovel.

And, lately, the naming of her animals:

"This is my brother-sister."


Here she is driving her brother-sister cat around on her Mickey Plane.


And here she is with the original brother-sister, her sheep, wearing the new sunhat and sandals that Grandma bought her when we went to wallmart.


Incidentally, these sandals are fantastic because Clio's feet are very puffy on top, and the 3-point velcro makes this one of the only pairs we've found that actually fit. However, when we first tried to put on her "new shoes," she freaked out, saying "no new shoes!" over and over. The next day, when I asked if she would like to wear her "sandals," like Mommy, she could not have been more thrilled.

Oh, the power of language.

No comments: