Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

I've been feeling a little emotional about this election.

This morning, I took the girls with me to the polls. We had seen coverage on NY1 of our old neighborhood, where the line to get in to vote went out of the school and around the block (seeing this, my eyes welled up); as we vote in the school just down the street, Dave poked his head out and declared no around-the-block lines, so I figured I could just slip in and out, and give our kids their first dose of democracy in action.

When we walked in, the volunteer manning the front table said, "Look, it's the future!" and referred to Clio as a presidential hopeful circa 2050 or so- of course she doesn't know what that means, but I felt like we all kind of liked hearing it.

In the end, Clio was not thrilled about the crowds and we didn't stay (I'll go back and vote after work), but I felt not just a little thrilled by this notion of the future. Whatever happens today, we are light-years closer to realizing the notion that anyone can be president, and despite my general lack of political engagement, today I feel hopeful that my girls might grow up believing that America does indeed have the best political system in the world, and that their country works for them, as much (or as little) as anyone else.

1 comment:

The Hewitts said...

What the hell? Did you just predate about 88 posts? I check your blog every few hours and I SWEAR that I've never seen these before.

P.S. You miss Friendly Hills. I can tell. You should move back. They still do the HUGE bonfire by Snyders (which, incidentally, has moved). Come on. You know you want it.