Monday, September 1, 2008

Family Ties

Of course, our vacation was also really about the people.

For me, it was great to introduce the eldest member of our clan to the youngest,

To introduce Liz, a friend since we
were babies, and Rebecca, a friend since we had babies, and to have all those babies interact.

For my kids, it was fabulous to hang out with aunts and uncles,

Play and explore with cousins,


Share many meals with grandparents,

And have some down time with Mommy and Daddy.


We also celebrated my second cousin Amy, who recently got married, had a baby, and moved in to her Uncle Brian's old hous; saw the progress on my Aunt Eileen's gorgeous house; checked out my aunt Molly's newly completed Montessori training center and school, a vision 5 years in the making; hosted my mom's cousin Jamie for an afternoon pool party and figured out that his kids and my kids are second cousins once removed; and took a tour of my elementary school, which lasted an hour and a half because I was stopped and hugged in every classroom by teachers who are still there and remember me, though I graduated from the Junior High there 20 years ago.

While there is much to be said for the independence of building your own life in a place like New York City, there are times when nothing beats being surrounded by your own history. For me, this is one such time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Scarlett and I had such a great time swimming and meeting Liz, Laila, & Owen. Scarlett is still talking about the "blue pool". Your parents were so sweet to feed and entertain us - we thoroughly enjoyed it.