Monday, February 4, 2008

Hormonal

It's no surprise that being pregnant makes one a tad, well, emotional. Your hormones are raging, your body is changing, you're subject to all kinds of indignities- the delicate sense of smell, the loss of memory, the dropsies- it can all leave you feeling a bit, how shall we say... off.

Last night I realized I have a very particular emotional afflicition. It's no secret that I'm a weepy wendy, but while pregnant my heart swells even more than usual at the notion of people having a shot at realizing their dreams; and going one step further, I get all veclempt when they're lovingly supported in their quest. So, I tend to mist up as singers are handed a golden ticket on American Idol (especially the single parents, last-chancers, and anyone in recovery from anything), but the tears really start to roll when they bust through those double doors and their families and friends jump up and down and tackle them and scream and cry for joy. And last night, when Eli Manning took a wild-card underdog team and turned a record-making game around against the undefeated Patriots seeking to make history, needless to say I was a little weepy. But when they cut to big brother Peyton barely containing his pride in a private box, well, that's when I really lost it. I'm sure this is exactly what Dave expected from his Superbowl experience; and I'm sure he's thrilled he stayed home to watch with his pregnant wife instead of going to a party with a bunch of guys who really knew what was going on, but hey- in its way, that's exactly the kind of familial support that itches my tearducts.

(Last time around, as a comparison, I remember sobbing-
SOBBING- my way through Eight Below, that movie about the team of sled dogs that gets left behind at the South Pole when the human team evacuates in a storm- and their loyal master's unlikely quest to save them. And I'm not even remotely a dog person. And it so obviously was going to have a mostly happy ending. Marni kept looking sidelong at me like I was crazy. But those based-on-a-true story stories have an edge up, just like the single parents, etc.)

What can I say? It's an emotional whirlwind.

1 comment:

bity said...

Totally. I remember a depression hurts everyone commercial (when i was preggo) where they showed a dog sitting alone looking sadly into the camera and that made me bawl like nobody's business. It's a good thing it's temporary eh? Hang on.