Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Colors of the Rainbow

I've been thinking about the possibilities of video lately- thanks to Isaac's dad, Sam, I was invited by the folks at Babble to throw my hat in the ring for a new, sponsored video blog; they were looking for a video-diary style, with mom and child both figuring prominently in the narrative. As a writer-in-the-basement-in-my-spare-time, I was thrilled by the invitation; as a mom about to expose herself (and child) to a broader public, I was less so, so I turned down the opportunity (with thanks).

Really, video is not my thing- I don't have the best eye, and I'm more about reframing a moment into something meaningful than manipulating its meaning as it's happening (more hind-sight than of the moment), but I love that the invitation made me to think differently about the possibilities of the medium. Like last weekend when I was lying in bed staring at the ceiling fan, and I could hear Clio reading books down the hall in her room, I wished I had the video camera. It was a slice-of-life that said as much about me and our family life as it shared news of Clio with friends and family.

This video is none of the above. It's straight Clio, doing her thing. Also, it is the most unflattering possible angle of me (thanks, Dave) - so much so that I almost did not post it here. For the record, here at the 5-month mark I am definitely showing, but my thighs etc. are not nearly as inflated as this video might lead you to believe. (I had a post up my sleeve about my current stats, the recent "pop," and the fact that the new baby has become really active over the past few weeks, and so on, but I guess I've sort of blown it here, in just one sentence.)

I suggest you just focus on Clio. And Marni, who looks adorable in her "Mrs. Shapiro" tank top.

3 comments:

kwongs said...

clio is a genius! the only color i can get amelia to identify with any regularity is orange, and that's only because she really likes oranges.

bity said...

I think she must be five not 2(ish).

Also, I think you should do the babble thing. I love reading your posts. You're a natural writer.

Statia Grossman said...

That's really amazing that she knows all those colors!