Sunday, December 9, 2007

Ode to Myself


Like most moms, I spend far more time on any given day thinking about Clio (and many other people) than I spend thinking about myself. But ever since September, when I attended my 15-year high school reunion, I've been thinking about a post with this narcissistic title. Finally taking a moment to toot my own horn was prompted by a convergence of several things:

1. Tomorrow I turn 33


2. At my reunion, I heard the surprising terms "tiny" and "chic" used to describe me. I have never been tiny or chic in my life, but have been known to hope and strive for one or the other, if not both

3. When I went for my annual exam around the same time, my midwife, who originally met me in the 24th week of pregnancy and had last seen me 6-weeks post-partum, told me I was sexy. Yes, sexy.

And finally, since I'm giving up my body again and heading towards this:


And, unfortunately, lots of things a bit less beautiful and amazing, like nausea, fatigue, sleeplessness, and (please, not again), edema:


I felt like it was a good moment to reflect on myself, and put forth evidence that motherhood has been good to me in ways that go beyond the general happpy fulfillment stuff. That's right, despite the fact that there's less time in the day, I exercise less, and probably eat worse, I actually look better since Clio came around than I ever did before.









Let's just hope this holds for number two. Here we go again!

3 comments:

bity said...

Peter told me about this. I didn't believe him because he frequently gets these details wrong, but it looks like he was right! Congratulations! I'm very excited for you. That makes two down. Ah vessel-dom :)

Unknown said...

Heart-felt congratulations to you! (I love the whole post by the way). I am very excited for you and will send anti-edema vibes for the duration of your pregnancy.

Statia Grossman said...

Congratulations Heather! And I don't know if I ever mentioned this to anyone - but after you all left my house the night of the Tupperware Party Peter said to me - "The moms are HOT!"