Saturday, August 4, 2007

Lost in Translation

You know how some baby words are decipherable only to those in the know? Well, apparently my own child is building quite the vocabulary, only Dave and I are among the masses who don't understand what she's saying. At day care yesterday, they ran through the list. In addition to the words we know- banana, baby, ball, and book, it turns out she is also saying block and pampers in English and nene, no quiero, and da me (Boy, I don't want that, and give me) in Spanish. I was a little nonplussed to learn that others can speak her secret language better than I; but then we spent the morning making animal noises together (meow, roar, and moo) and I felt a little better. Mostly she repeats after me- we meow at a foam block shaped like a cat and roar at the lion from her noah's arc set, but she also flipped to the cow page in Are You My Mother, pointed, and said moo. Smarty pants.

No comments: