Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Only in Colorado

Towards the end of May, the Avid 4 Adventure team came to Clio's school. There were forms to read and fill out, special packing instructions for lunches and backpacks, and at the last minute, we got a flyer letting us know that parents were encouraged to participate at the end of the day. I had worked a number of nighttime events in the weeks leading up, so I took a half day and ran back to Boulder to see what this was all about.

More wristbands, plus waivers signing away and kind of claim to life or limb lost in action, and Clio was demonstrating the climbing wall


And tooling around in a kayak in a pool on her school's lawn.




It was kind of jaw-dropping. All the parents kept proudly saying things like, "only in Colorado!" I didn't know if this was true- we certainly didn't have kayaking at Clio's school in Brooklyn- so I just smiled and nodded and pretended that I, too, was a proud Coloradan.

Since I was coming straight from work, I hadn't thought to bring my camera. I remembered that there might be a camera on my phone (yup, I have one of those now), but I could not for the life of me figure out how to use it. So thanks to Kathryn, Alex and Tamsin's mom (and Clio's personal advocate), for taking and sending along these photos!

3 comments:

The Hewitts said...

I want to go to Clio's school. do they take aspiring writers?

April Jenkins said...

Amazing! Makes me want to pack our bags and join you there!

kwongs said...

that is so cool! we definitely don't have that in sf!