Sunday, March 7, 2010

Perfect Day

I always liked that American Express ad with a "survey" filled out by Tina Fey. She describes her perfect day, which includes a multitude of activities all over New York with her young daughter. At the end of the description, there is an asterisk, and a note at the bottom of the page that says "this day may not actually be possible."

I feel like we are having one of those almost-impossible perfect days, despite a mis-communication or two. I got up early with Clio and had a nice quite breakfast while Eleri and Dave slept in. Clio and I had tea together and I read New York Magazine and she did some art. We had a second breakfast at the Walnut Cafe with the Desautels-Steins, a super-family friendly spot with good food and great coffee, then took the girls next door to the Dollar Tree to spend the dollars that Grandma and Grandpa sent to each of them for Valentine's day (Eleri chose a bag of plastic easter eggs; Clio, a pair of high-heeled plastic mules, which she has already broken.) We dashed home, threw dinner in the crockpot, and headed off to reconnect with Dakota and crew for this hike:


(that's Clio, who did give me a near heart-atack, flirting with the edge of that hill). We had play time and snacks at the top,
which made Eleri's day, in particular.



Back home, I headed to yoga, where I had an out-of-body-experience. Now Dave is out with Clio on her new bike, which she is loving, Eleri is sleeping, and I'm finally feeling in the mood to blog (guess that post-a-day actually took it out of me!). The library is up next, then we eat our crock-pot carrot-orange soup with mango chutney and --get this!--the babysitter arrives, the awesome one who really plays with the girls and leaves a tidy kitchen, and Dave and I head off to see Avatar. In 3-D.

Awesome.

I don't usually like to post the contents of a day like this, a list with no insight or reflection that others can relate to. But I would like to remember that we can have days like this, in inspiration for more of them. And when I see a picture where we, as a family, look like this:

I think it's worth taking note of the circumstances.

2 comments:

sara said...

Relatable- check. Inspirational- check.

You had me at babysitter.

Unknown said...

happy to be included in your near perfect day!

ps. where was the awesome yoga? i need to get some of that.