Monday, November 9, 2009

The Way We Walk

Eleri is walking like it was second nature now, with a posture so distinctive, it reminds me of that scene in Dead Poet's Society where Robin Williams has the boys walk in a circle and calls attention to what their walk says about them: the punch line being the boy who walks groin first. With Eleri, it's all in the belly. Belly out, shoulders back, arms behind her, stomping along. In fact, her jackets get hiked back on her shoulders just seconds after you pull them forward, hiked up enough that the belly might show- just a sliver of skin. If she were an animal, sh might be a penguin.

Clio was always more delicate, arms out to her sides for balance but also as if she might just curtsey at any moment.

Dave is a strider; I can never keep up.

And me? There was a time when I thought my walk was sexy; now, I see the pigeon toes. Clio might have them too.

My favorite thing about all this walking in Eleri's insistence on holding her sisters' hand. And Clio's willingness to oblige her, most of the time.



No comments: