Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Year in Pictures

Somehow, I never manage to do one of those excellent photo holiday cards, even though I love getting them (please keep us on your mailing list even though we're not reciprocating!) I especially love rifling through the card displays at other people's houses during the holiday season, whether kept in a bowl on a coffee table, on a special card tree, or displayed as a refrigerator gallery with magnets-- the photos that people choose to share tell such a story, and seeing cards from all the people in a family's life (that manage to produce cards!) in one place tells its own story as well.

What I do manage to do is put together what I call the Christmas photo book, a book that tells the story of our year in pictures. The inspiration book was one my aunt Missy actually put together for me and Dave to give our parents as a gift on the eve of our wedding; it was amazing to see our story through the eyes of a relative and friend who saw our developing relationship at close range (we titled it Dave and Heather So Far...), and wonderful to share that story with the people who have know and loved us since birth, but who happen to live a little further away. Opening it, I believe both our moms got a little teary to feel like they got a more personal glimpse at our adventures.

So each year since Clio came along, I have continued this tradition- for us, for our parents and grandparents, and for our daughters (Clio already loves nothing better than looking at these books of herself; and I hope they will be meaningful records to her in the future.) I'm particularly happy with this year's edition because it tells an emotional story through portraits that runs parallel to, but does not repeat, the stories this blog has told.

The software that Missy introduced us to, MyPublisher, has a new feature that allows you to share your books online. So go ahead and take a look at our year in pictures; just click here, and when you see the photo of the book's cover, click on the little icon below that says "2-page view", then the forward arrow to proceed.

Mom, Barb, Granddad and Bonnie, fear not: your hard copies are finally in the mail!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is totally awesome!

Unknown said...

Heather,
Such a beautiful book--I'm so glad I got to check it out! We've been thinking about you guys. Hope you are well.