Sunday, October 26, 2008

Something a little lighter: The Zoo

So, before I sent out that invitation to my pity party, Dave and I were spending most of our time managing okay; we even still get out there to do some pretty fun things sometimes. Like go to the zoo. This is an excellent weekend activity because the Prospect Park zoo is a very manageable size for a toddler (sans stroller) and a parent lugging a 3 month old--who happens to be in the 95th percentile for weight--in a baby bjorn. It was also fun to make a return trip because Clio seems much more capable of taking part in all that a children's zoo has to offer, and it's always fun to see how much they've grown.

For example, last year she used the giant turtle shell as a prop to practice her standing,

This year she's full on walking, thank you very much,


and even testing out the shell herself. (As the aforementioned parent with the baby bjorn, I was off the hook to participate this time. If you really want to see me as a giant turtle, you'll have to look up the post from last summer.)

Last year she was VERY shy about the petting zoo.


And this year? Well... I guess we can't expect progress on all fronts.


There were plenty of activities that we didn't even bother with last year, like this long-jump, where you can figure out what animal you can jump as far as.

If I remember correctly, Dave was a jackal. As much as Clio looooves jumping, she didn't really get the concept of jumping in a straight line and measuring. Oh well, maybe next year.

Clio was also pretty interested in the Baboons. Here she is, talking to the Mac Daddy.


I believe she was saying "look at me!" but maybe I'm confusing this moment with oh, the million other moments in which she makes that comment.

The petting zoo has this cow-milking display where you can actually get some kind of liquid out of a simulated udder. I love that it's double sided.


And, The Daddy got to show off his farm roots, showing his little girl the ropes.


As always, the best part of the whole day was the handwashing station. But I don't have a picture of that because really, how boring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adorable photos - we love seeing people blog about our zoo and learning what they enjoy most. Those "Daisy milkers" are huge with little kids - it's so cute to watch them. Thanks for the post and come back soon!