Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Clio Grace, reader extraordinaire

At her conferences back in November, Clio's teachers set me up for this big surprise.  At first, the way they were leading into it, I got really nervous, wondered what was wrong, what my girl had done.  In the end, it was good news:  Clio was testing at a 2nd grade reading level.

I think they were disappointed by my lack of surprise and jubilation.  We knew it already: Clio is a really amazingly good reader.  This is likely because she loves stories.  Because we read to her a lot from the very beginning.  Because she has good teachers.  Because she is--has always been--really really verbal.

Lately, though, her reading ability seems to have just shot forward, and whatever reading level she may now be at, I find myself impressed.  I think the turning point came when I found her reading the Gift of the Magi.  She is reading chapter books like Junie B Jones and Ivy and Bean.  I often find her reading in bed.

I was the same way, and I love that this is something passed on from me.



No comments: